GOLD VERMEIL JEWELRY CARE
Rizen Jewelry's collection features the distinguished gold vermeil, known for its long-lasting quality that rivals solid gold, offering our customers the luxury of fine jewelry with the promise of affordability and durability. We use a luxurious 18k gold overlay on .925 Tiffany grade sterling silver, a hypoallergenic base, to achieve rich hues and heirloom-quality pieces that are both exquisite and long-lasting. In contrast to the more common gold plating, which often uses a minimal application of 10k or 14k gold over less durable metals, gold vermeil's US-regulated standards demand a substantial gold layer of at least 2.5 microns on sterling silver, ensuring superior quality that can last a lifetime with proper care. Our commitment to this method ensures that Rizen's jewelry offers both the allure of fine gold and the reassurance of hypoallergenic materials suitable for sensitive skin.
- Avoid Chemicals: Keep your vermeil jewelry away from harsh chemicals found in cleaning products, perfumes, and lotions.
- Apply Last: Put on your vermeil jewelry last when getting ready to minimize contact with makeup and hair products.
- Rotate Jewelry: Regularly change out your pieces to avoid excessive wear on any single item of vermeil jewelry.
- Periodic Checks: Regularly check for signs of wear and tear, and have your jewelry professionally cleaned when necessary.
STORING GOLD VERMEIL JEWELRY
- Individual Storage: Store your sterling silver pieces individually, preferably in soft pouches or lined jewelry boxes to avoid scratches.
- Air Tight, Cool, and Dry: Keep jewelry in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag to minimize exposure to air. Place silica gel packets in the storage area to absorb excess moisture.
- Tarnish-Preventive Materials: Use anti-tarnish strips or cloths in your storage area to absorb sulfides in the air that cause tarnish.
- Limit Light Exposure: Store your silver in a dark place, away from direct sunlight, which can cause silver to tarnish more quickly.
CLEANING GOLD VERMEIL JEWELRY
- Gentle Wiping: Clean your vermeil jewelry with a soft cloth to remove oils and dirt without scratching the gold surface.
- Mild Cleaning Solution: If necessary, apply a mixture of warm water and mild dish soap with your fingertips or a soft cloth, being careful not to soak the jewelry.
- Thorough Drying: Always ensure that the jewelry is completely dry after cleaning, as moisture can damage the gold layer.
- Professional Maintenance: For persistent tarnish or when in doubt, consult a professional jeweler who specializes in gold vermeil for cleaning and care.
GOLD VERMEIL JEWELRY
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can gold vermeil wear off?
Yes, over time and with excessive wear, the gold plating can wear off. How quickly this happens depends on how often the jewelry is worn and how it's cared for.
How long does gold vermeil last?
Gold vermeil can last for many years with proper care, but the longevity can vary based on usage and exposure to elements that can cause wear.
Is gold vermeil waterproof?
Gold vermeil is not waterproof. It's water-resistant to a degree but should not be repeatedly exposed to water or worn in the shower or pool.
How often should gold vermeil be cleaned?
Clean your gold vermeil pieces regularly, depending on how often you wear them. For occasional wear, cleaning every 2-3 months is sufficient; more frequent wear requires more frequent cleaning.
What's the difference between gold vermeil and gold-plated jewelry?
The main differences are the base metal, which is sterling silver for vermeil, and the thickness of the gold layer; vermeil requires a thickness of at least 2.5 microns.
Can I wear gold vermeil every day?
Gold vermeil can be worn daily, but to extend its lifespan, it's best to remove it during activities that might expose it to abrasion or harsh chemicals.
We do recommend regularly changing out your pieces to avoid excessive wear on any single item of vermeil jewelry.